Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Zucchini!

Wondering what I did with all that zucchini?  I gave some away.  Some was dried (is still drying).  I found a recipe for zucchini chocolate chip cookies (but they were kinda cakie, not my favorite).  Then I made Marshall's favorite zucchini bread.  
a little of this and a little of that adds flavor and texture

after 70 minutes in the oven and the house smells yummy

cooled, sliced, and ready to enjoy

I adapted a recipe from the Bread Bible.  It's so dense, moist, and filling.  Marshall likes a warm slice topped with home-made jam.  Sound good?  Here is the recipe.    

Zucchini Bread
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup blueberries
3/4 cup coconut flakes

Preheat the oven to 350*.  In a medium bowl beat the butter, applesauce, and sugars together.  Add the eggs and vanilla beat again until well combined.  Fold in the grated zucchini and coconut and stir well.  In a large bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Add the zucchini-egg mixture and stir to combine.  Add the blueberries and stir.  Spoon the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan (sometimes I make a loaf and a couple muffins or a mini loaf too.  This recipe makes one really big loaf and it takes a very long time to bake.  I get better results by splitting the batter up a bit).  Bake in the center of the over for about 65 minutes or until the tops are firm and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let the bread cool completely.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, YUMMY! You just reminded me I forgot the zucchini from my dads garden at their house this morning. :-( I was going to make the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have used my same recipe for years, but I will try your new one Hannah!!! Thanks for the zucchini it is nice to have a source since we did not grow any this year! loving you! Mom

    ReplyDelete